Consumers today have a strong interest in where their food comes from, including how food animals are raised and handled. To help build consumer trust in dairy products, the DCWC is pleased to offer the webinar series. The webinars feature top-rated topics from previous DCWC Annual Symposiums as well as other pertinent subject areas. The webinars offer an opportunity to learn about food integrity and communicating with the consumer as well as animal-human interaction at the farm level.
The live educational sessions are available at no cost to attendees from around the world. Recordings are only available to members of the DCWC (membership information).
- "Session I - Dairy Welfare Student Showcase: Student's presentations selected for the Annual Symposium"
- To be held May 27, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time
- Kaitlin Gingerich, University of Florida, "Disbudding affects social behavior and use of a shelter in group-housed dairy calves"
- Blair Downey, University of California – Davis, "Feeding behavior and consumption in milk-fed dairy calves: from birth onwards"
- Hailey Simpson, Colorado State University, "Dairy worker perspectives on performing euthanasia as an essential component of their job"
- "Session II - Dairy Welfare Student Showcase: Student's presentations selected for the Annual Symposium"
- To be held June 3, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time
- Anne-Marieke Smid, University of British Columbia (current affiliation: University of Calgary), "Dairy cattle preference for different types of outdoor access"
- Katherine Creutzinger, The Ohio State University, "Stocking density impacts group-housed cows’ ability to seek isolation before calving"
- Brooklyn Wagner, North Carolina State University, "Timely euthanasia of dairy cattle: exploring the producer perspective"
- "The National Dairy FARM Animal Care Program—Version 4.0 Updates and Initiatives"
- Emily Yeiser Stepp, NMPF National Dairy FARM Program
- Recorded on April 1, 2020
- "Managing automated milking systems to optimize cow welfare"
- Dr. Trevor DeVries, University of Guelph
- Recorded on March 4, 2020
- "Managing heat stress to improve the welfare of dairy cows and calves"
- Dr. Jennifer Van Os, University of Wisconsin
- Recorded on February 19, 2020
- "Pain control for disbudding - What are best practices?"
- Dr. Charlotte Winder, University of Guelph
- Recorded on January 30, 2020
- "Forming High Performing Down Cow Care Teams"
- Dr. Conrad Spangler, Riverview LLP
- Recorded on August 7, 2019
- "Overcrowding Dairy Cattle: Behavior, Health, and Productive Consequences"
- Dr. Rick Grant, Miner Institute
- Recorded on May 8, 2019
- "Designing the maternity pen with the cow’s natural behavior in mind”
- Dr. Katy Proudfoot, The Ohio State University
- Recorded on April 17, 2019
- "Healthy Gut, Healthy Calf, Productive Future"
- Dr. Michael Steele, University of Guelph
- Recorded on March 13, 2019
- "Considerations for implementing aggressive use of polled genetics"
- Dr. Chad Dechow, Penn State University
- Recorded on January 23, 2019
- "Lifestep - a lesion oriented approach to solving lameness problems in dairy herds"
- Dr. Nigel Cook, University of Wisconsin
- Recorded on April 3, 2018
- "Moving forward with group housing of dairy calves: What you need to know and important considerations"
- Dr. Joao Costa, University of Kentucky
- Recorded on March 14, 2018
- "Lameness Myths and Reality"
- Dr. Gerard Cramer, University of Minnesota
- Recorded on February 13, 2018
- "The Fact and Fiction of Developing Practical Animal Care Programs"
- Dr. Brandon Treichler, Select Milk Producers
- Recorded on January 10, 2018
- "Best Practices and Training for On-Farm Euthanasia"
- Dr. Jan Shearer, Iowa State University
- Recorded on September 20, 2017
- "The Modern Bovine Maternity Ward"
- Dr. Donald Niles, Dairy Dreams LLC
- Recorded on April 4, 2017
- "Monitoring Personnel Performance with Emphasis on Animal Welfare"
- Dr. Gustavo Schuenemann, Ohio State University Extension
- Recorded on March 15, 2017
- "Food Industry and Consumer Perceptions"
- Charlie Arnot, The Center for Food Integrity
- Recorded on November 15, 2016
DCWC members have unlimited access to recordings in the membership portion of the website (member login).