Consumers today have a strong interest in where their food comes from, including how food animals are raised and handled. To help build consumer trust in dairy products, the DCWC is pleased to offer the webinar series. The webinars feature top-rated topics from previous DCWC Annual Symposiums as well as other pertinent subject areas.
The live educational sessions are available at no cost to attendees from around the world, but you must register.
- Recordings are only available to active members of the DCWC (see membership information). CC capable in Spanish, French, etc.
- Continuing Education Credit is awarded on an hour per hour basis. Contact DCWCouncil@gmail.com after your participation to request Veterinary CE documentation.
- "2021 Dairy Cattle Welfare Research - Student Showcase"
- To be held May 19, 2021 at 5:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time
“Feeding enrichment for milk-fed dairy calves” by Blair Downey, University of California – Davis
“The effects of xylazine sedation in 2 to 6-week-old calves disbudded with a cautery iron” by Cassandra Reedman, University of Guelph
“What do dairy cows want when lying down?” by Laura Shewbridge Carter, Harper Adams University
- "Cognition and emotion in dairy cattle"
Dr. Dan Weary, University of British Columbia
Recorded on March 24, 2021
- "Raising the perfect heifer calf: Updates in the colostrum feeding recommendations"
Dr Sandra Godden, University of Minnesota
Recorded on January 20, 2021
"Transgenerational effects of late-gestation heat stress"
Dr. Jimena Laporta, University of Wisconsin
Recorded on December 9, 2020
- "An Open Conversation on Animal Activism"
- Panel discussion: Lauri Torgerson-White, Dr. Jim Reynolds, Dr. Gustavo Schuenemann, & Dr. Juan Velez (panel moderator)
- Recorded on November 18, 2020
- "Managing Mortality on Dairy Farms: Risk factors impacting dairy calf health"
- Dr. David Renaud, University of Guelph
- Recorded on October 28, 2020
- "Animal welfare during marketing: A dairy cow's journey from farm to plant"
- Dr. Lily Edwards-Callaway, Colorado State University
- Recorded on July 15, 2020
- "Dairy Welfare Student Showcase - Session II"
- Recorded on June 3, 2020
- "Dairy cattle preference for different types of outdoor access" by Anne-Marieke Smid, University of British Columbia
- "Stocking density impacts group-housed cows’ ability to seek isolation before calving" by Katherine Creutzinger, The Ohio State University
- "Timely euthanasia of dairy cattle: exploring the producer perspective" by Brooklyn Wagner, North Carolina State University
- Recorded on June 3, 2020
- "Dairy Welfare Student Showcase - Session I"
- Recorded on May 27, 2020
- "Disbudding affects social behavior and use of a shelter in group-housed dairy calves" by Kaitlin Gingerich, University of Florida
- "Feeding behavior and consumption in milk-fed dairy calves: from birth onwards" by Blair Downey, University of California-Davis
- "Dairy worker perspectives on performing euthanasia as an essential component of their job" by Hailey Simpson, Colorado State University
- Recorded on May 27, 2020
- "The National Dairy FARM Animal Care Program—Version 4.0 Updates and Initiatives"
- Emily Yeiser Stepp, NMPF National Dairy FARM Program
- Recorded on April 1, 2020
- "Managing automated milking systems to optimize cow welfare"
- Dr. Trevor DeVries, University of Guelph
- Recorded on March 4, 2020
- "Managing heat stress to improve the welfare of dairy cows and calves"
- Dr. Jennifer Van Os, University of Wisconsin
- Recorded on February 19, 2020
- "Pain control for disbudding - What are best practices?"
- Dr. Charlotte Winder, University of Guelph
- Recorded on January 30, 2020
- "Forming High Performing Down Cow Care Teams"
- Dr. Conrad Spangler, Riverview LLP
- Recorded on August 7, 2019
- "Overcrowding Dairy Cattle: Behavior, Health, and Productive Consequences"
- Dr. Rick Grant, Miner Institute
- Recorded on May 8, 2019
- "Designing the maternity pen with the cow’s natural behavior in mind”
- Dr. Katy Proudfoot, The Ohio State University
- Recorded on April 17, 2019
- "Healthy Gut, Healthy Calf, Productive Future"
- Dr. Michael Steele, University of Guelph
- Recorded on March 13, 2019
- "Considerations for implementing aggressive use of polled genetics"
- Dr. Chad Dechow, Penn State University
- Recorded on January 23, 2019
- "Lifestep - a lesion oriented approach to solving lameness problems in dairy herds"
- Dr. Nigel Cook, University of Wisconsin
- Recorded on April 3, 2018
- "Moving forward with group housing of dairy calves: What you need to know and important considerations"
- Dr. Joao Costa, University of Kentucky
- Recorded on March 14, 2018
- "Lameness Myths and Reality"
- Dr. Gerard Cramer, University of Minnesota
- Recorded on February 13, 2018
- "The Fact and Fiction of Developing Practical Animal Care Programs"
- Dr. Brandon Treichler, Select Milk Producers
- Recorded on January 10, 2018
- "Best Practices and Training for On-Farm Euthanasia"
- Dr. Jan Shearer, Iowa State University
- Recorded on September 20, 2017
- "The Modern Bovine Maternity Ward"
- Dr. Donald Niles, Dairy Dreams LLC
- Recorded on April 4, 2017
- "Monitoring Personnel Performance with Emphasis on Animal Welfare"
- Dr. Gustavo Schuenemann, The Ohio State University
- Recorded on March 15, 2017
- "Food Industry and Consumer Perceptions"
- Charlie Arnot, The Center for Food Integrity
- Recorded on November 15, 2016
DCWC members have unlimited access to recordings in the membership portion of the website (member login).